Thursday 5 April 2012

The Old Days

I love the spring because you can see so much.  I don't mean the daffodils and tulips, I mean that you can can see so much of the past.  When I walk to school everyday I walk past where the old saw mill used to be.  It burned in the 1930s, and yet some of it remains.  Here it is:


 


The bricks are there and the stones from the foundation are there.  Back in the 30s the mill was owned by Elwood Burtt and it look like this:
You can see the boiler in the foreground and the covered bridge (now a Bailey Bridge) that we lost in the  1970s before we moved here.  The road went beneath the conveyor belt and the foundation from the pictures above were from the buildings that you can see across the road. 
I walk past these cement remains everyday and most people don't even know they are there!!  I love this little bit of history.  If you want to learn more about it you can read the book,  Peek Around The Corner - Burtt's Corner, the Early Years by Sharon Bird.


No comments:

Post a Comment